(If the current Passport is reported lost or damaged)
If your passport is lost or stolen, please make a complaint to your local police station and obtain a police report.
New passports are issued under the approval of the Controller General of Immigration and Emigration/Colombo. Please note that it is subject to the complete discretion of the Controller General Immigration and Emigration whether a new passport will be issued in lieu of a lost passport.
This Embassy will conduct an interview with the applicant in this regard. Therefore, please present yourself in person at the Embassy with the following documents for the interview:
Duly filled Application ( Application for Sri Lankan Passport (Form K 35) AND Form D). Please use English Block Capital). Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs. Section 21 of the application will be completed by the Embassy.
Original birth certificate and 02 photocopies (certified English translations will not be accepted).
Copy of the lost passport (if available).
Copy of the complaint made to the Japanese police that your passport is lost and an English translation of the complaint done by an authorized translator.
National Identity Card (N.I.C) and 02 photocopies (if you are not in possession of the N.I.C. at the time of application, a letter addressed to the Controller General/Immigration informing the same).
02 photocopies of the Resident Card.
Two self-addressed envelopes.
If the passport number or a copy of the data page is submitted – JPY 40,500 + 800 (processing fee)
If the passport number or a copy of the data page is not submitted- JPY 51,300 + 800 (processing fee)
How to Submit the Application
You can submit the application to the Consular Division of the Embassy. The Consular Division is open from Monday to Friday (Acceptance of documents: 9 am - 12 pm, Issuance of documents: 01 pm -03 pm). The address is as follows:
2-1-54 Takanawa Minato-ku Tokyo 108-0074
* This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post.
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.
* If by a policy decision the Controller General of Immigration decides not to issue a new passport in lieu of a lost passport please note that fees will not be refunded.
* The Department of Immigration and Emigration/Colombo takes around 08 – 10 weeks to issue a new passport through this Embassy for duly completed application forms.