(if the current Passport is expired)
A Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration can apply for a Sri Lankan Passport. Ordinary passports are valid for 10 years at the time of first issue. On the expiry of 10 years from the date of issue, or if there are no pages for visa endorsement, a new passport should be obtained.
Duly completed Form K35 application - ( Application for Sri Lankan Passport (Form K 35)
please use English Block Capital. Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs. Section 21 of the application will be completed by the Embassy.
04 colour photographs of size 3.5 cm * 4.5 cm (background should be light color except white)
Please paste 03 photos in the application, and in the other place your signature on the backside of the photo. Your photos must: be a close-up of your full head and upper shoulders, both ears and the forehead clearly visible and free from spectacles and head covers.
If your child was born in Japan, you may apply for a new passport once the child’s birth is registered at the Embassy. (Registration of the birth, citizenship and application for a passport for the child can be done simultaneously).
Please submit the following documents to the Embassy in order to submit your child’s application for new passport to the Department of Immigration and Emigration/Colombo:
Duly completed Form K 35 application ( Application for Sri Lankan Passport (Form K 35)
(please use English Block Capital). Parents should write the first name of the child inside the cage provided in the application form for the signature of the applicant. Section 21 of the application will be completed by the Embassy.
Following documents of the parents:
- Two passports and 02 photocopies each of the data page of the passports.
- 02 photocopies each of the ‘observations /alterations’ page of the passport if there are any observations/alterations.
- 02 photocopies each of the Resident Card.
In case where one parent is in Japan and the passport application to obtain a new passport for a child is submitted to Colombo Immigration and Emigration Department by the other parent from Sri Lanka, the parent in Japan should:
- write a letter addressed to the Controller General/ Immigration and Emigration, Colombo stating he/she has no objection for the issuance of a passport to the child and submit the same to the Embassy for attestation along with his/her passport and a copy of the birth certificate of the child.
(Acceptance of documents between 09:15 - 12:00. Issuance of documents between 13:00 - 15:00)
Prescribed Fee: No objection letters stated above are issued free of charge.
You may submit the application to the Consular Division of the Embassy by post or by hand. The Consular Division is open from Monday to Friday (Acceptance of documents: 9 am - 12 pm, Issuance of documents: 01 pm -03 pm). The address is as follows:
* This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post.
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.
The Department of Immigration and Emigration/Colombo takes around 08 – 10 weeks to issue a new passport through this Embassy for duly completed application forms. (if the birth is not registered 12 – 14 weeks).